1 John 2
The Test of Knowing Christ
2 My little children, these things I write to you, so that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous. 2 And He Himself is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the whole world.
The Test of Knowing Him
3 Now by this we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments. 4 He who says, “I know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. 5 But whoever keeps His word, truly the love of God is perfected in him. By this we know that we are in Him. 6 He who says he abides in Him ought himself also to walk just as He walked.
7 Brethren, I write no new commandment to you, but an old commandment which you have had from the beginning. The old commandment is the word which you heard from the beginning. 8 Again, a new commandment I write to you, which thing is true in Him and in you, because the darkness is passing away, and the true light is already shining.
9 He who says he is in the light, and hates his brother, is in darkness until now. 10 He who loves his brother abides in the light, and there is no cause for stumbling in him. 11 But he who hates his brother is in darkness and walks in darkness, and does not know where he is going, because the darkness has blinded his eyes.
Their Spiritual State
12 I write to you, little children,
Because your sins are forgiven you for His name’s sake.
13 I write to you, fathers,
Because you have known Him who is from the beginning.
I write to you, young men,
Because you have overcome the wicked one.
I write to you, little children,
Because you have known the Father.
14 I have written to you, fathers,
Because you have known Him who is from the beginning.
I have written to you, young men,
Because you are strong, and the word of God abides in you,
And you have overcome the wicked one.
Do Not Love the World
15 Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 16 For all that is in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—is not of the Father but is of the world. 17 And the world is passing away, and the lust of it; but he who does the will of God abides forever.
Deceptions of the Last Hour
18 Little children, it is the last hour; and as you have heard that the Antichrist is coming, even now many antichrists have come, by which we know that it is the last hour. 19 They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would have continued with us; but they went out that they might be made manifest, that none of them were of us.
20 But you have an anointing from the Holy One, and you know all things. 21 I have not written to you because you do not know the truth, but because you know it, and that no lie is of the truth.
22 Who is a liar but he who denies that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist who denies the Father and the Son. 23 Whoever denies the Son does not have the Father either; he who acknowledges the Son has the Father also.
Let Truth Abide in You
24 Therefore let that abide in you which you heard from the beginning. If what you heard from the beginning abides in you, you also will abide in the Son and in the Father. 25 And this is the promise that He has promised us—eternal life.
26 These things I have written to you concerning those who try to deceive you. 27 But the anointing which you have received from Him abides in you, and you do not need that anyone teach you; but as the same anointing teaches you concerning all things, and is true, and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you will abide in Him.
The Children of God
28 And now, little children, abide in Him, that when He appears, we may have confidence and not be ashamed before Him at His coming. 29 If you know that He is righteous, you know that everyone who practices righteousness is born of Him.
Questions & Answers
- Why did John write these things? 1 John 2:1
- If we sin, what do we have with the Father? 1 John 2:1
- Who is the propitiation for our sins? 1 John 2:2
- Who else is this for? 1 John 2:2
- How do we know that we know Him? 1 John 2:3
- If a person says he knows Him and does not keep His commandments, what is he? 1 John 2:4
- Who is the love of God truly perfected in? If we do this, what do we know? 1 John 2:5
- How should we walk? 1 John 2:6
- How long had they had the old commandment? 1 John 2:7
- Who is the new commandment true in? 1 John 2:8
- What is passing away? 1 John 2:8
- What is already shining? 1 John 2:8
- When a person says that he is in the light, but hates his brother, what is he actually in? 1 John 2:9
- When a person loves his brother, what does he abide in? 1 John 2:10
- Why will he not stumble? 1 John 2:10
- What is he who hates his brother, walking in? 1 John 2:11
- Why does he not know where he is going? 1 John 2:11
- What does John want little children to know about their sins? 1 John 2:12
- For whose sake are they forgiven? 1 John 2:12
- Why did he write to fathers? 1 John 2:13
- Who have young men overcome? 1 John 2:13
- Why did he write to little children? 1 John 2:13
- Who do fathers know? 1 John 2:14
- Why are young men strong? 1 John 2:14
- What are we not to love? 1 John 2:15
- If anyone loves the world, what is not in them? 1 John 2:15
- What three things does John say are in the world? 1 John 2:16
- Who are all these things not of? 1 John 2:16
- What is happening to the world? 1 John 2:17
- What is passing away with the world? 1 John 2:17
- Who will live or abide forever? 1 John 2:17
- What hour did John say that it was? 1 John 2:18
- Who had they heard was coming? 1 John 2:18
- Who had already come back then? 1 John 2:18
- What do we know by this? 1 John 2:18
- Why had some gone out from them? 1 John 2:19
- If they were of them, who would they have continued with? 1 John 2:19
- When they went out, what did it manifest (bring to light) about them? 1 John 2:19
- Who do we have an anointing from? 1 John 2:20
- What things will He allow us to know? 1 John 2:20
- Why did John write to them? 1 John 2:21
- What are lies not of? 1 John 2:21
- What does a liar deny about Jesus? 1 John 2:22
- What is a person who denies the Father and the Son? 1 John 2:22
- If a person denies the Son, who do they not have? 1 John 2:23
- If a person confesses or acknowledges Jesus, who do they have also? 1 John 2:23
- What should we let abide in us? 1 John 2:24
- If what you heard from the beginning (the true gospel) abides in you, who will you abide in? 1 John 2:24
- What promise has He given us? 1 John 2:25
- Why did John write these things? 1 John 2:26
- Who do we have an anointing from? 1 John 2:27
- If a deceiver tries to sway us from the true gospel, why do we not need them? 1 John 2:27
- Who have we received our anointing from that teaches us all things? 1 John 2:27
- Why are we to abide in Him? 1 John 2:28
- If we abide in Him, what confidence can we have now? 1 John 2:28
- What do we know about everyone who practices righteousness? 1 John 2:29