2 Peter 1
Greeting the Faithful
1 Simon Peter, a bondservant and apostle of Jesus Christ,
To those who have obtained like precious faith with us by the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ:
2 Grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord, 3 as His divine power has given to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who called us by glory and virtue, 4 by which have been given to us exceedingly great and precious promises, that through these you may be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.
Fruitful Growth in the Faith
5 But also for this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge, 6 to knowledge self-control, to self-control perseverance, to perseverance godliness, 7 to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love. 8 For if these things are yours and abound, you will be neither barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 For he who lacks these things is shortsighted, even to blindness, and has forgotten that he was cleansed from his old sins.
10 Therefore, brethren, be even more diligent to make your call and election sure, for if you do these things you will never stumble; 11 for so an entrance will be supplied to you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
Peter’s Approaching Death
12 For this reason I will not be negligent to remind you always of these things, though you know and are established in the present truth. 13 Yes, I think it is right, as long as I am in this tent, to stir you up by reminding you, 14 knowing that shortly I must put off my tent, just as our Lord Jesus Christ showed me. 15 Moreover I will be careful to ensure that you always have a reminder of these things after my decease.
The Trustworthy Prophetic Word
16 For we did not follow cunningly devised fables when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of His majesty. 17 For He received from God the Father honor and glory when such a voice came to Him from the Excellent Glory: “This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.” 18 And we heard this voice which came from heaven when we were with Him on the holy mountain.
19 And so we have the prophetic word confirmed, which you do well to heed as a light that shines in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts; 20 knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation, 21 for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit.
Questions & Answers
- Who was Peter a bondservant and apostle of? 2 Peter 1:1
- How does Peter greet us? 2 Peter 1:2
- What has His divine power given to us? 2 Peter 1:3
- Through these promises, what has His divine power made us partakers of? 2 Peter 1:4
- For this very reason, giving all diligence, what are you to add to your faith? 2 Peter 1:5
- What are you to add to virtue? 2 Peter 1:5
- What are you to add to knowledge? 2 Peter 1:6
- What are you to add to self-control? 2 Peter 1:6
- What are you to add to perseverance?2 Peter 1:6
- What are you to add to godliness? 2 Peter 1:7
- What are you to add to brotherly kindness? 2 Peter 1:7 I
- f these things are yours, what will never happen to you? 2 Peter 1:8
- What will happen to those who lack these things? 2 Peter 1:9
- What are we to be diligent to do? 2 Peter 1:10
- If we do this, what will never happen? 2 Peter 1:10
- What will this supply to us? 2 Peter 1:11
- What is Peter not negligent to remind us of? 2 Peter 1:12
- How is Peter stirring us up? 2 Peter 1:13
- What would he be putting off very soon (shortly)? 2 Peter 1:14
- What would this provide for us after Peter's death? 2 Peter 1:15
- What had Peter and the other Apostles not followed? 2 Peter 1:16
- What had they been eyewitnesses to? 2 Peter 1:16
- What did the voice from Heaven say about Jesus? 2 Peter 1:17
- Where had Peter heard this voice from Heaven? 2 Peter 1:18
- Since we have the prophetic word confirmed, what should we do with it? 2 Peter 1:19
- What do we know about private interpretation of Scripture? 2 Peter 1:20
- How did prophecy of Scripture never come? 2 Peter 1:21
- How did holy men of old speak? 2 Peter 1:21